Tips | Insuring You Stay Healthy...

If you are concerned about health issues while travelling, check out the travel section on the CDC website.

Bringing Medications or Filling Prescriptions Abroad

A traveler going abroad with a preexisting medical condition should carry a letter from their attending physician describing the condition and listing any prescriptions including the generic named of the prescribed drugs. Any medications being carried overseas should be left in their original containers and be clearly labeled. if you have allergies, reactions to certain medications/foods/insect bites, or any other unique medical problems, consider wearing a medical alert bracelet. You may also wish to carry a letter from your physician explaining required treatment should you become ill.

Doctors and Hospitals

If an American citizen becomes seriously ill or injured abroad, a US consular officer can assist in locating medical services and informing family or friends. If necessary, a consular officer can also assist in the transfer of funds from the United States. ( Note, however, that payment of hospital and all expenses is the responsibility of the traveler.)

The State Department also advises leaving a detailed itinerary and copies of your passport data page with a friend or relative in the US.

Sign up for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program so the State Department can better assist you in an emergency: Let them know your travel plans through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, a free online service. this will help them contact you if there is a family emergency in the US or if there is a crisis where you are traveling. In accordance with the Privacy Act, information on your welfare and whereabouts will not be released to others without your express authorization. If your family needs to reach you because of an emergency, they can pass a message to you through the office of Overseas Citizens Services, which can be contacted from within the US at 1-888-407-4747 (Toll Free) and from overseas at 202-501-4444. The Office of Overseas Citizens Services will contact the US Embassy or Consulate in the country in which you are traveling in order to pass the message to you.

Check your overseas medical insurance coverage: Ask your medical insurance company if your policy applies overseas, and if it covers emergency expenses such as medical evacuation. If it does not, consider supplemental insurance.

Travel Insurance

If your employer does not offer travel insurance with your benefits package, we recommend you look into taking care of it yourself. We can sort it out for you! Just get in contact with us and we'll come back to you with a quote.

Want to take care of it on your own? Keep these in mind:

Is the company you're considering reputable? Can you find real reviews online?

Is cancellation covered? Flight or Trip?

Is lost luggage and theft covered?

Do you sign up before departure or when travelling?

Can you extend or modify your policy?

Are both clinic visits and emergencies covered?

How do you submit a claim? Is it a user friendly and reliable process?

Are there medical exclusions that apply to you?

Will your preexisting condition(s) cost you too much?

Travel insurance is an important thing to consider even if you've never had a need for it. Something may happen when you least expect it...and being prepared is never a bad thing!